History of Pavlu Thermal
Vitalciuret performed investigations in Bolu in 1894 and stated that there had been a city here. There are many evidences confirming his statement, the most important of which is the ancient spa building. It is still in service. As a result of an earthquake occurred here, the civilization became extinct. On old title deeds, name of the county seat is written as Pavli. Located next to Kesenözü village 11 kilometers away from Seben, the spa is good for gynecological diseases, rheumatism, joint diseases, nervous system diseases, wounds and skin diseases. It offers service with 4 pools having a temperature of 70-80˚C. Its water is odorless and slightly gaseous. In recent years, dormitories with private baths have been built here.
It is understood from the rock houses in the neighborhood of Solaklar, Muslar, Çeltikdere and Yuva villages that the region is an ancient settlement. The region was occupied by the Romans in 64 B.C. and then by the Byzantines. The actual civilization in the region started after that and, in our day, the ruins from that age are encountered in the vicinity of Çeltikdere village and Pavli Spa next to Kesenözü village. Upon the conquest of Bolu in 1324, the region fell under the domination of the Ottoman Empire. The sub-district Çarşamba affiliated to Mudurnu county was founded in Keskinli district in 1911 and became a county taking the name Seben in 1946. Today, there are 2 districts and 29 villages affiliated to the county. The county was named after Seben Mountains in the north. Seben means paramount mountain